Thursday, July 16, 2009

Brazos River Trip Low Down - Part 1

So far this summer we had not managed to really take a vacation of any kind yet...so we decided late last Friday night to plan a short trip to the river to canoe down it. A while back we were on our way home from a family reunion with Chris and his family and we saw a sign for a RV park that offered canoe rentals, so we decided to stop, stay the night and canoe the next day. The kids had a blast so that is the main reason we decide to go again.

The main difference this time was that we were not taking the bus so we needed a place to stay that had a cabin to rent. I didn't realize that this would be harder to find than I thought and what are the odds that we would find something that was actually available on immediate notice? I found a place that looked promising, but had to wait until Saturday to see if it was open that night. It was called The River Place Cottage a bed and breakfast... I called, it was available that night!

It sounded perfect. Two bedroom, sleeps 6, right on the river, sit on the porch and watch the canoes go by... One thing it didn't mention was that as close as the river was to the front of the cottage, the road was to the side of the cottage! The road noise did dampen the atmosphere a bit...but hey we could live with that.

Once we got there and checked in, we needed to get a few supplies. They provided us with eggs, sausage and fresh (home made) bread delivered shortly after we arrived. This was the breakfast part of "Bed and Breakfast"! So Roger and Josh went to the quick stop to get a few groceries and bait and I took Kylie and Cameron down to get in the water. The river was absolutely beautiful at the time. It was smooth as glass, calm and serene...except for the occasional car or truck passing by on the bridge (some of which would honk and wave like long lost friends). (The picture below has a lightroom preset used to brighten up the colors...so just go with it(Liz!)! It was very nice in reality too, but I was playing with my pictures!!)


The kids were wading and skipping rocks. They were both barefoot since Cameron is too macho for water shoes and Kylie's were in the towel bag (in the car that Roger took). The ground wasn't yucky so it wasn't a big deal...or so I thought.





After a short while Kylie walked out of the water and was messing with her feet. I was taking pictures of course. Next thing I know there is a cry of horror coming from my baby girl...in my head I would have sworn she squealed "leeches!!!!" Ok...now time slows to a crawl (in my head) and I am thinking "No way!!! Not leaehes!" My minds eye is seeing large black slimey blood suckers - you know, the kind you see on TV jungle shows like Rambo. The ones you have to have a large sharp Rambo knife to remove! All the while I am trying to get to Kylie (remember...this is in slow motion) she is dancing around on one foot crying and frantically clawing at her feet at the same time. I try to calm her down so I can try to see what she is talking about (while internally fighting the strong urge to drop everything and peel my own lake shoes off and inspect my feet). I maintain my motherly composure and check my child first to find these tiny little brownish colored wriggling "things" attached to my baby girls feet. I had no idea what they were...my thought was that they were indeed some local (yet miniture) distant cousin of the jungle leeches. There were only few and they removed quite easilyleaving no mark at all. Cameron had them on his feet as well...so the only thing I could think was that they were indeed leeches that lived in the sea weed (or rather river weed?) looking stuff the kids were walking through in the water. I didn't have any, not sure if it was because of the lake shoes or the fact that I was barely in the water or my feet didn't smell bad enough to attract the critters. But no matter...we were done getting in the water for the evening! As we walked back up the hill...in my mind (again) I am fast forwarding to tomorrow when we would be back down to the river and trying to figure out how I was going to make it all the way down the river in a canoe without ever actually getting in that water!!!

Tune in tomorrow for part 2 ...Fishing, butt shaking, water rising, Monsters and faces!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Leeches - yuck sorry that distracted me from the rest of the story.

Christina said...

No pictures of the leaches?? Those little guys make my skin crawl! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!