Saturday, December 27, 2008

Whole other ball game!







Well, I have to say that skiing in December is very different than skiing in March! Not only was this our first trip here alone...it was our first trip that wasn't over spring break. Some of our gear just wasn't up to -3 degree weather! We headed out as usual around 8:30 am and were one of the very first people to hit one of our favorite slopes. Tomahawk had maybe one or two ski tracks in front of us when we got there. Another difference was POWDER!!! Tons and tons of powder. I looked down as I started out on Tomahawk and my skis and feet up to my mid-shins were buried! It was kind of like learning something totally different to ski in this stuff. It was a lot more work!
By the time we got to Rendezvous (a hilltop restaurant) my feet and fingertips were numb. My socks and gloves just weren't what I needed. Roger had to ski the last bit without his goggles because they frosted up on the INSIDE and he could not see. When we got to Rendezvous his eyelashes were freezing together! After some hot cocoa and a little break we started to head back down the mountain to adjust our gear. We realized that it was only a little before 10am! OMG! Time flies when you are freezing!
I got new gloves and added my warmer socks, took a small break in the room and Roger headed back up. Roger hit some tougher slopes without me and was pooped. We met up later and went back to Tomahawk for one more trip from the top. Tomahawk was nice and we enjoyed our trip down the hill. We realized why there were so few people this morning though....apparently in Dec. people wait till a little later to let it warm up some before heading up the mountain. Sissies! :)
We have reservations tonight at Hazie's, a restaurant on the mountain top for our anniversary dinner. I am hoping to get some good pics up there tonight...but we will see. We did take a couple of goofy ones earlier that I will post for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is the first I have been on the computer since you left except to check airline stuff. The pictures are great. You two enjoy and take care of each other. Chris called me from Dallas. He made it home, Courtney picked him up. I sure hated to see him go home. I'll show the kids these pictures tomorrow, they are all in bed now.
Nana

Liz said...

That is way too cold for me - have fun!