Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pain, misery and agony..

Well, what started out as a pretty good day quickly took a turn for the worse for me. Yesterday we skied more runs than we had all week. We had a really good day and other than my calf muscles being a little sore that evening, I felt really really good.

Today Kylie and Lil' Kamron skied with us and that meant we had to slow down a bit. I don't know why, but the slope we did yesterday kicked my butt this morning. We had to do really slow S's so the kids didn't get too much speed up and take off down the hill out of control. I am not sure if it was this or something else that caused it, but by the time we down this first run and stood in the lift line - I was dying! My legs felt like they would explode! When we got to the top of the lift we were by a little restaurant at the top of the mountain. I had to stop and take my boots completely off and put my feet up in a chair. Roger and the others headed on back down the hill without me.

I sat there for maybe 20 or 30 mins and my legs felt 110% better, so I decided to go on down the mountain. I took one of the green trail runs and everything was going good. I had to take another lift (I was so glad there wasn't a line at it!!!) to get back to the gondola so I ride it down. I didn't even want to attempt to ski the lower slopes. The snow turns to slush late in the day as warm as it is here right now and it can be really a pain to ski in! When I got to the bus line Roger and everyone else was there waiting for the shuttle, so we all rode back together.

Tonight we went to the a water park that is feed by natural hot springs. They had a rock wall with waterfalls for people to climb. The kids all decided to give it a try and it was a hoot to watch. Kylie didn't make it too far, but had fun trying. After a couple of failed attempts and a few pointers from a lifeguard, Chris finally made it to the top and rung the bell. He ended up climbing it 4 times! Then Josh decided to listen to the others and was able to ring the bell also. I was visiting with the Aquatics Director and mentioned to her that Chris was thinking about coming up next season and joining the ski patrol. He had already told her he was a lifeguard...she raised her eyebrows and said "Oh, have him contact me!! I would love to have him work here too when he comes!" So, the kid hasn't even moved here and has 2 potential jobs!

I have to say the hot springs were quite nice to relax in...hope my legs don't betray me tomorrow on our last day of skiing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took a couple of days for the sore muscles to catch up with you. Hope tomorrow is better. Be careful and be safe.
I bet Chris is so excited. Both jobs would be fun. He can Ski Patrol during the day and swim during the evenings.
Love you all.
Nana