Thursday, April 16, 2009

Woohoo!

Well, I have some good news! I will give you a little back ground first...back when I decided to get a web address about 1 year ago, I did all the research. In trying to decide what name to use, I confirmed what ones were available. At the time, www.memoriesbylisa.com was available and of my options was my favorite at the end of the process. When I went to secure the address about 4 days later...it was gone! I was so mad. I felt like someone who worked at GoDaddy was monitoring the searches and then snapping up the ones that were searched so they could sell it to you for a profit! I had the whole conspiracy worked out in my head. And to make it worse..no one used it for anything!!!!

Well a few months ago I got an email from some random company telling me it had purchased www.memoriesbylisa.com and wanted to sell it to me for $99. For anyone who doesn't know, the cost of purchasing an open domain address has drastically reduced in recent years. So, needless to say, I didn't take them up on their offer.

In the process of transferring my existing domain to my new provider, it showed me the other available versions of my address and .com was listed. Some people like to purchase all the variations for several reasons. One is to make sure your clients find you no matter what ending they use and another is to make sure no one puts a bad site on something named so close to yours. My thought has always been that I would like to get .com some day if possible because .biz isn't very well known and it would be harder for people who knew my company name but not the web address to find me on the web at .biz. So it is only logical to try and get .com... but not at some pumped up outrageous price! So when I saw it on the list, I thought it can't hurt to check and see what I could get it for now.

I asked my new provider (which I love BTW) and within about 5 mins it was a done deal! It will cost me around $10 a year and my first payment won't be until October of 2010! Bonus! Now they will direct both addresses to the same site so no matter which ending you use, you still wind up at my site! So I don't have to reprint my cards or anything, I can just wait until I am ready for new ones and then change it to the .com. I want to use the .com as the primary one I give out since more people are familiar with it. It is slowly all coming together!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Now I just need to make an appt so you can add your favorite niece under the age of 3 to your portfolio!

Lisa Laxton said...

Absolutely! I need more toddler shots!

Anonymous said...

Good luck this is your new friend from the Gough Inn.. I see we both have a love for photographing.. you are a great example..